Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz production at the London Palladium 1st September 2012

Hey Guys!

So I finally got to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz on Saturday September the 1st 2012 at the London Palladium!

Words will not be able to describe the awesomeness I witnessed, and how it touched my heart....(but I'll try!)

Firstly, I have seen at least 6 different productions of The Wizard of Oz and without a doubt, this was the best one I have ever seen by far. I saw Wicked 5 years ago, which was equally wonderful :)

So..Where to start?.... 

Well to begin with here is a list of cast members who played the main characters in the production I saw... :)


DES O’CONNOR                        
Professor Marvel/Doorman/Tour Guide/The Wizard of Oz

SOPHIE EVANS                       
Dorothy

EDWARD BAKER-DULY     
Hickory/Tin Man

MARTIN CALLAGHAN      
Zeke/Cowardly Lion

PAUL KEATING                     
Hunk/Scarecrow

EMILY TIERNEY                  
Glinda

MARIANNE BENEDICT     
Miss Gulch/Wicked Witch of the West

KATE COYSTEN                      
Aunt Em/Munchkin Barrister/Ensemble

STEPHEN SCOTT                   
Uncle Henry/Philippe/Head Guard/Ensemble

When I got to the Theatre, it was surrounded by Oz fans of all ages....and there were little girls dressed as cute Dorothy's :) It was a really nice warm atmosphere, and it's so great to see that Oz still has such an impact on different generations :)

My seat was Row R, Seat 39 which was in the stalls and really close to the stage! (balcony was above me) Plus I had nobody sitting in front of me so even better!

As soon as the overture music started playing I got goose pimples all over my body; it was so magical! I swear I shed a tear or two as well :) 
It brought back many happy memories for me.

All the way through the production, my eyes were fixed on the stage. I was smiling throughout and sang along to the songs in my head...Andrew Lloyd Webber had written some new songs for the show which were fantastic! Especially the witch's song :) Below I have listed all the songs featured (new songs in bold lettering) :)

           Overture
  1. Nobody Understands Me
  2. Over The Rainbow
  3. Wonders Of The World
  4. The Twister
  5. Arrival In Munchkinland
  6. Munchkinland / Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
  7. Follow The Yellow Brick Road
  8. If I Only Had A Brain / We're Off To See The Wizard
  9. If I Only Had A Heart / We're Off To See The Wizard
  10. If I Only Had The Nerve / We're Off To See The Wizard
  11. We're Outta The Woods
  12. The Merry Old Land Of Oz
  13. Bring Me The Broomstick
  14. Haunted Forest
  15. Red Shoes Blues
  16. Bacchanalia
  17. Red Shoes Blues (Reprise)
  18. Over The Rainbow (Reprise)
  19. If We Only Had A Plan
  20. The Rescue
  21. Hail-Hail! The Witch Is Dead
  22. The Wizard's Departure
  23. Already Home
  24. Finale

Ok...I'm going to go off on a bit of a tangent now because I am still so excited about it all! ..So here it goes! ….

Oh man! It was so well done! Very funny parts, extra songs, dances, and Tin man sounded like a deep voiced superhero (can't think who he sounded like, but they portrayed Tin Man as being the most hard core one ;) and he had such a beautiful sexy deep voice! Lol. ) , made the Lion out to be very camp but did it really well, Glinda's dress was sparkling silver, so pretty!!!

They used a big cinema screen as a back drop for the big effects like the tornado, and at one point it looked like you were in it yourself, Dorothy's house got lifted into space before it landed in Oz, and they even made all the munchkins blue .... And so much more!!!'

There was a lovely touch at the end of the production with the ruby slippers.... The wind blew Dorothy's bedroom cabinet open and there and behold were the ruby slippers!!!! :D

When the boys go and rescue Dorothy from the witches castle..... The Scarecrow asks Tin Man if it's going to get violent and Tin Man replies "oh yeah!" he then smirked, held his axe over his shoulder ready for action and then walked off stage :)

And you know at the end of the film when Dorothy says to Scarecrow "I'll miss you most of all" ? Well Lion was like, " what about us?!" and Tin Man was like " yeah, thanks a lot!" lol! Then Dorothy was like " aww don't be silly! I'll miss you loads too' just that Scarecrow was my very first friend in Oz that's why I'll miss him the most!" lol! The other two got jealous hehe.

Sophie Evans was such an amazing Dorothy! She really played the character well....The best Dorothy I have ever seen next to Judy Garland's portrayal, in my opinion! 
The same could also be said about Edward Baker-Duly's portrayal of the Tin Man :) 

….And phew! There are SO many more parts in that show which I totally loved! But thought I’d share just a few moments with you :) Check out the costumes and clips of the show on You Tube, and you'll see what I mean by it all :)

I am hoping they'll put the show on again in my local area, 
because I'd definitely see it again! :)

Of course, I couldn't take any photos or videos inside the Theatre whilst the show was on, but I did take some pictures outside the Palladium for you all to 
look at :) (below).

And sadly, they sold out of programmes but I am hoping eBay will be my saviour where I can buy one from someone.

So that's my wonderful experience and thoughts of finally seeing Andrew Lloyd Webber's production of The Wizard of Oz. 
A show which will stay with me forever :)

On a similar note, if you haven’t seen Wicked yet, GO SEE IT
That is one great show, trust me ;) 

Ozzy Wishes, 
Nicki Rose xxx



Outside the London Palladium
Inside the Theatre (sorry for the rubbish photo!)

Sophie Evans as Dorothy
Des O'Connor as the Wizard












No comments:

Post a Comment